*makes 1 serving
Time to make: 5 minutes
Behind the scenes: Hard runs can lower your body's ability to fight off infection. The kefir used in this smoothie, helps fight off unwanted pathogens. Almond (contains vitamin E & maganese) along with wheat germ (contains zinc) provide support to your immune cells. If the almond slices are too crunchy for you, try using almond butter in place of it.
What you need:
- 1 cup low fat plain kefir
- 1 cup unsweetened raspberries (frozen)
- 1 tbsp wheat germ
- 2 tbsp honey (or agave nectar)
- 1 tsp finely chopped ginger
- Place kefir, raspberries, almonds (or almond butter), wheat germ, ginger, and honey in the blender. Blend for 2 to 3 minutes.
- 446 calories
- 68 g carbs
- 12 g fiber
-18 g protein
-12 g total fat
-2 g saturated fat
-126 mg sodium
*makes 2 servings
Time to make: 15 minutes
Behind the scenes: These delicious crepes are perfect for a light breakfast or an addition to a salad for a tasty brunch. Even if you don't have spinach and mushrooms, you can use any combination of vegetables. Think of the egg as an envelope. You simply put whatever healthy goodies you desire inside it.
What you need:
- 6 large mushrooms (sliced thin)
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 8 oz fresh spinach
- 1/8 tsp salt (optional)
- 3 tbsp water
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp of freshly chopped mixed herbs
- Ground blackpepper
- 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese
- Heat 1 tsp of olive oil in a large nonstick pan (medium heat).
- Add salt and mushrooms, cook for 3 minutes.
- Remove mushrooms, set aside to drain them.
- Add spinach and 2 tsp of water into the same pan, cook for 2 minutes.
- Drain spinach, chop, and season with salt and nutmeg.
- Crack 1 egg in a bowl, beat lightly. Add remaining tbsp of water.
- Raise heat to medium in the large pan, adding 1/2 tsp of olive oil.
- Add beaten egg and cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat. Add half of the mushrooms, spinach, herbs, and cheese.
- Fold the sides of the crepe over the fillings.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Repeat for the second crepe. Use other half of mushrooms, spinach, herbs, and cheese for filling.
- 170 calories
- 11 g carbs
- 5 g fiber
- 15 g protein
- 12 g total fat
- 3 g saturated fat
- 569 mg sodium